Friday, July 27, 2012

Breakfast

After five straight months of hard boiled eggs for breakfast (and the Great Cereal Catastrophe of 2012), my stomach finally revolted and said, "Variety NOW".

I decided to try some smoothies. I bought unsweetened coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk and a bunch of fruit. Quick aside: do you use shelf stable almond milk or the kind in the refrigerator section? What are your prefered brands?

The kids were excited to try something new. Did I tell you how lucky I am? My kids try everything, the nine year old more readily than the four year old, but once 9 tries is 4 isn't far behind. Daisy (4) actually was the first to try the coconut milk and she loved it. Eliza (9) hated it which is odd because that kid likes everything (except peaches, hates peaches, weird).

Today I made a smoothie with the coconut milk an frozen pineapple. Yummy! Daisy would have drank the whole thing if I had turned my back, she loved it. Even Eliza liked it with the pineapple. My husband thought something was missing. Rum? No, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Whatever. I loved it.

Tomorrow we are going to try almond milk and strawberries, maybe some banana if they hurry up and ripen.

What are some of your favorite concotions?

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, smoothies. I personally really like the Almond Breeze brand of almond milk, but I haven't tried any of the others.

    Normally when I make smoothies I also add in a handful or two of spinach. Sounds GROSS but I swear you can't taste it at all. And it's a nice way to get in some extra veggies. Frozen banana is also really good in smoothies. Makes it thick and creamy and sweet without adding anything bad for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually buy Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk (refrigerated) unless I score a coupon for Blue Diamond (same unsweetend vanilla, refrig). When not on sale they are the same price & I don't find a difference in the taste so either/or.

    Lately I have been having a "big" smoothie for breakfast -- lots of ice so it makes enough for both of us. I use 8 ounces almond milk, half a cup plain Fage, 2 tbs natural peanut butter or almond butter, a tbs bee pollen and 2 tbs ground flaxseed. If I had chia seeds I'd put a scoop of them too, but we're all out and I haven't made a trip to the health food store (supermarket used to have them but no more). It's great for early AM/pre-workout but would be great for post workout too b/c of all the protein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue Diamond girl, refrigerated section.

    I'm not a big smoothie person but now I want one. Will add next weeks meal plans.

    Great that the kids loved them! That always makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I drink So delicious coconut milk beverage , No sugar added, from time to time. It's shelf stable , in a box. I rarely make smoothies but I'll have a serving from time to time as a milk subsubstitue. The sugar free vanilla ( uses a stevia extract) with some cinnamon sprinkled on top is a nice way to end dinner or add to coffee some days.

    ReplyDelete